Friday, July 23, 2010

It Takes a Village

Guest blogger Tim, back for Number 2. "Janeti, Luka, Janeti, Luka..."
called out in children's voices as we walk any of the many paths
criss-crossing Zobue. Before coming here, I must admit I'd wondered
"Are these two highly-educated Americans doing the right thing with
their lives?" Not any more: seeing lives fully lived is soothing to
the soul.
The light breeze and verdant vegetation reminds me of Hawaii, the red
soil and architecture of Mexico. My psyche feels like I'm 7 years old
again, growing up in the 50s. Awakening to happy noises of children
playing, music mixing with cooking smells, all seemingly absorbed
through my skin. TV has been replaced by vistas from the front porch,
BBC radio, reading and crossword puzzles. We even have morning yoga,
called the outside squat latrine. Neighbors and students drop by
anytime, Janet and Luc stop whatever they're doing and welcome them.
Think Kramer (of Seinfeld) when you hear the name Romão appearing
unannounced with a smile that lights up the room. We walk every day to
street- side vendors and meals have been delicious. On Sunday, 2 PCVs,
Loud Claire and Alexandra spent the night and enjoyed the Mozambican
barbecue in our honor, cooked by neighbors Marcelina and Marta. We
shredded coconut on a special bench and ground peanuts on a huge
pilão, while kids played '35', (a cross between pickle and dodgeball)
next door. Their enthusiasm and joy playing together seems lost to our
video/iphone world. Last night, a young student came to the house to
study French. She has no textbook or dictionary of her own, and using
my headlamp, completed her translation with Janet's books. I contrast
this to my math students who have paper and online textbooks and still
do no homework. The line between who is rich and who is poor is
certainly a matter of perspective.
To experience Janet and Luc so comfortable, so competent, and
contributing so much gives me great pride that they are living a
vision created by one of my heroes, JFK.

No comments:

Post a Comment