Monday, March 15, 2010

"Bonjour, Madame Janet"

Walking around town has a new flavor since I started teaching French
three weeks ago. It was already complicated deciding which language to
greet people in. Portuguese was the default when we arrived ('bom
dia'). Then we learned Chichewa greetings ('madzuka bwanji') so we
hear that a lot now that our neighbor are aware that we know it. Then
school began so we started to get 'Good morning, teacher' from our
students. And now it's coming at us in French too! I was walking home
from school just today and heard 'bonjour, madame' from up in a guava
tree! Adding French to Biology and computers makes for a varied
teaching load for sure. French is more interactive than bio, which I
enjoy, plus the kids are very excited to learn it, having only had
English as a foreign language since primary school. Computers is
different also because I only have 6 students, as opposed to 60. But I
still like bio the best. Right now we have a huge pile of stinking
goat, pig and chicken bones on the porch that my students brought for
extra credit so we can study the inside of them. Luc also scavenged
some comes while out on his runs. Teaching is exhausting though, so I
am looking forward to next week off as we travel to a peace corps
Reconnect conference and see all our buddies to compare our experience
so far. Au revoir!

1 comment:

  1. Hi friends,
    It is fantastic your all scribbles. I hope more pleasant reading from you both. And please find a few time to visit my web page. http://shukoorcheruvadi.co.cc
    Thanks & Regards
    Shukoor

    ReplyDelete